Friday, July 12, 2013

How I Cloth Diaper TWO Kids at ONCE!

I began my cloth diapering journey a little over a year ago.  I was one of those people who had heard of cloth diapering and considered it, but never thought I would actually do it.  That was until I met my dearest friend who is the owner of All About Cloth Diapers.  Autumn introduced me to cloth diapers and I fell in love with them!

So Jane was around 1 year old when I started cloth diapering.  Just adorable, and she is so BIG now!


Cloth diapers are not what they once were.  They are now modernized, and much easier to use. I have never really felt the burden of having to wash the diapers or finding time to, which was my main concern before I began.  I love the fact that I am saving money in the long run, since spending money on disposable diapers in not cheap and your are just throwing them in the trash.  My husband and I calculated that we would be saving hundreds of dollars a year by making this switch.  From a health perspective I like knowing that my baby isn't going to be wearing chemicals against her skin all day and night.  And cloth diapers are just cute and since I have to change diapers all day long I might as well like what I'm lookin at : )


Before Blaire was born I realized I was going to have to cloth diaper TWO children at once since Jane was still in diapers when she was born.  I wasn't too intimidated by this, but more wondering how it would pan out and if I was going to be worn out from washing diapers all day.

Well after experiencing two in cloth at once I can say, it really isn't much harder at all.  Have you ever wondered about how to do this? Well I'm about to show you a peek into how I make this happen : )


These are all the cloth diapers I currently use to diaper both girls.  "WHOA!" you may be thinking, but this amount gets me through washing every other day with some diapers left over.  So not quite enough to last me 2 days worth, but almost. A minimalist stash of diapers, just enough for what I need.

"Do you have a diaper sprayer, or do you have to dunk them in the toilet?"
I do have a diaper sprayer in our bathroom that I can use to spray poopy diapers with.  I don't find I have to do that very often, because Blaire is exclusively breastfed.  And that means her poopy diapers don't have to be sprayed since her poop is water soluble.  So I save that step, which saves me time.

"How often do you wash?"
I wash every other day, and that is doable for me.  I usually start the load first thing in the morning and go about my day.  I am usually done washing them around lunch time and then I hang the shells out to dry on the clothesline outside and dry the inserts in the dryer. 

"Do they share diapers?"
Although most of my diapers are one size, meaning they fit from around 8lbs-36lbs, my girls do not share the diapers.  With the exception of the Bum Genius 4.0's and the do share those.  This is just my own preference, as it would be totally possible to share a stash of one-size diapers between 2 children if that is what you have to work with.

Now a breakdown of who wears what : )

(Side Note: When Blaire was a newborn, I borrowed a stash of newborn cloth diapers since most babies don't fit into one-size diapers until they are a few weeks old.  Blaire began fitting into the Charlie Banana diapers around 3 weeks.  The newborn diapers are not pictured here.)

I change Blaire's diaper about 7-8 times a day.  She rarely wears the Bum Genius unless I am running low, but I have them pictured here anyways.  Plenty of diapers for her and soon she will be fitting into the medium Ragababes which are my favorite diapers : )  See I get excited about that kind of thing! I can just hear my sister calling me a dork right now....


Jane wears these and some of the other Bum Genius 4.0s if I am running low for her. 
I change Jane's diaper about 5 times a day, and she is about to be potty trained, although she doesn't know it yet : )

"Well how do you store all the diapers?"

 Blaire's Diapers are stored in plastic drawers in her room. 


  Also pictured are cloth wipes in the Huggies wipes container, and I just wet those with water when I need them. 
 
 


Jane's diapers are right outside of Blaire's room in a storage bin.  I like to keep them separated from Blaire's, and for some reason that is easier for me.  I like to compartmentalize my life : )
 
 
"Where do you put the soiled diapers?"
 



 
I have 2 large hanging wet bags that I rotate between, and I store the dirty diapers in them.  This is the closet door in Blaire's room and the bags hang nicely on that little knob.
 
 
"Who are these cute little girls?"
 

 
Here they are sporting Charlie Banana One Size.  You can see how the diaper fits from a tiny baby to a healthy chunky toddler.  Easy, fun, economical.
 
So this is in a nutshell how I manage to cloth diaper two children.  I hope this was informative, helpful, and motivational for you to begin your own cloth diaper journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment