Sunday, October 2, 2011

My First Quilt!

This weekend I made my very first quilt!  I know how to do basic sewing and have made a few skirts and swaddling blankets for friends, but wanted grow my sewing skills through quilting.  I tend to get really ambitious about things like this and think that I can do it all by myself, but I'm so glad my mother-in-law Linda was here this weekend to teach me.  Otherwise I wouldn't have even gotten past the cutting part : )

Since this was my first quilt, I found an easy tutorial for a simple baby quilt here.  The lady said it only took her 2 hours to make this... yeah...unless you are an expert I don't see that happening.  It took us about 7 hours from start to finish. 

All the pieces were cut (the most time intensive part for me)


And here we go..... I used Joey's great grandmother's machine which still sewed great after all these years.  I found out mine wasn't sewing properly.  So that explained why I thought I couldn't sew straight lines!


Almost finished! 7 hours later.....


Ta Da! The finished product.

This was so fun for me!  It is not perfect by any means... but I love it.  If I were a perfectionist when it came to this I would have started over 100 times and it would have taken me 100 hours instead of 7.  And Linda was such a patient instructor as we hit several roadblocks along the way.


I hope you enjoy this quilt my sweet Jane.  The colors remind me of you. Cheery, bright and beautiful : )




No comments:

Post a Comment